School Term Dates
Please find the most up to date term dates including staff INSET (training) days.
School Terms and Holidays Academic Year 2017-18
Autumn Half Term 1
- Staff Training Day 1 Monday 4 September 2017
- Staff Training Day 2 Tuesday 5 September 2017
- Term starts Wednesday 6 September 2017 (for pupils) - Friday 27 October 2017
Half Term Holiday
Autumn Half Term 2
- Monday 30 October 2017 - Friday 3 November 2017 inclusive
- Term starts Monday 6 November 2017 - Friday 22 December 2017
Spring Half Term 1
- Monday 25 December 2017 - Friday 5 January 2018 inclusive
- Term starts Monday 8 January 2018 - Friday 16 February 2018
Half Term Holiday
- Monday 19 February 2018 - Friday 23 February 2018 inclusive
Spring Half Term 2
- Term starts Monday 26 February 2018 - Thursday 29 March 2018
- Friday 30 March 2018 - Friday 13 April 2018 inclusive
Summer Half Term 1
- Term starts Monday 16 April 2018 - Friday 25 May 2018
Spring Bank Holiday
- Monday 28 May 2018 - Friday 1 June 2018 inclusive
Summer Half Term 2
At Handsworth Grange Community sports College pupils attending school for 190 days in any year will achieve 100% attendance; this will leave 175 days for holidays.
- Term starts Monday 4 June 2018 - Thursday 19 July 2018
Please help us to help your child achieve their full academic potential and progress by ensuring they are in school each school day for 8.45.
Attendance and the Law:
Parents have a legal responsibility to make sure their child gets a full time education and that they are present and punctual for each school day.
Parents who fail to do this risk the following things:
- Being fined up to £2500 or imprisoned if your child has a poor attendance record
- Having a parenting order, this would mean attending a parenting class.
- Being issued with a fixed penalty notice of £120.00 (£60.00 if paid within 21 days)
- Receiving a visit from the school attendance officer, Mr Mangles.
Holidays in Term time
Parents do not have the right to take their child out of school for holidays during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. Any absence without agreement will be classed as unauthorised and will go down on your childs record. Unauthorised absences can lead to fixed penalty notices and or prosecution. Exceptional circumstances do not include discounted holidays.
To find out more about the government changes visit www.education.gov.uk.
What must I do if I want to request exceptional leave during term time?
A request for exceptional term time leave form, available from the main school reception, MUST be completed and returned to the main school office at least 20 school days before the expected leave. School will inform you of the outcome with regards to the request by letter with 10 school days of receiving the form. Please do not hesitate to contact the school if you wish to discuss this further.
Please be aware that the family of schools is working closely together to tackle unacceptable term time leave and there is a consistent approach from across the schools.
Please be aware that the attendance officer Mr Mangles makes regular home visits to pupils homes when there is a prolonged pattern of absence, even if we receive notification that a child is ill.
For your childs safety and education please keep us updated with any information that means your child is not in school.
Holidays in Term Time Flyer.pdf